Monday, May 17, 2010

San Francisco in 1998


San Francisco
Originally uploaded by mcscraps4

I've never scrapbooked a page that didn't have photos. But I had this story that I wanted to keep and today it made it to the page. Howard and I spent part of today reminiscing about the trip and it brought back a lot of good memories that were made before we had children. Sometimes it's hard to remember anything before kids, but this was one of those memories that had to be told.
****************************
January 1998: Howard went out to San Francisco with Magic-Aire for the ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers) convention January 17-21, 1998, and invited me to follow. He and his co-worker went ahead and then her husband and I flew out a day or so later. Other than our honeymoon, this was the first trip for us after being married.

I arrived very early in the morning at the Warwick-Regis Hotel (although I don’t remember which day). I remember Howard was in bed and it was a full-size bed that was up high. I literally had to climb up into it. The room was nice, but the view was of the alley. Oh well, I wasn’t going to spend my time looking out the window! I do remember how beautiful the city looked as the drove over the Oakland Bay Bridge from the airport into the city.

The first morning we were there, we had breakfast at a little corner diner, Pinecrest Diner, that Howard had been eating at the past couple days. I don’t remember now what I ate, but I’m sure it was good. After breakfast, we walked from there to the Moscone Convention Center. After all these years I don’t remember many details, but I remember how it felt to be walking around such a famous town and wanting to soak it all in. It seems surreal now.

While I was there, we took a bus tour of the city that hit all the famous spots: Chinatown, Postcard Row (the street with all the famous houses on the sloped street that are in television shows), Lombard Street (the winding road), Golden Gate Park (a scenic spot that overlooked the bridge), Cliff House, Exploratorium, Mission District, Presidio, and some other spots. We took the trolley from the station to the wharf. We went to a company dinner party at the hotel one evening.

Another evening we ate at a restaurant at Fisherman’s Wharf called The Franciscan. Our table overlooked the bay. It was so funny, and we still laugh about it today, because I ordered lobster. Of course, who wouldn’t order lobster? When they brought my dish, it was a WHOLE lobster. The eyes were still on it, and whiskers, too. I’m a picky eater and Howard was so afraid that he’d just spent good company money on food that I wasn’t going to eat. Well, I didn’t eat the eyes, but I sure did eat the rest of the lobster and totally enjoyed it. It was a fabulous dinner!

We also took the ferry out to Alcatraz. It was a stereo-typically rainy day in San Francisco. I think the weather made the experience that much more real. We had to buy rain ponchos to keep dry, but it was still cold. When we got to the island, I called mom and dad from a pay phone to let them know I was at this famous prison. We took the tour throughout the prison and got to see inside the cells and everything. It was very interesting.

On the final day that I was there, I took a road trip with some of the wives of the company bosses from Carrier and Magic-Aire to Pebble Beach. We went to the famous golf course and had lunch. I had fish and chips, but it wasn’t catfish and potato chips. It was cod and french fries. And it was yummy. The other ladies had salads. While at Pebble Beach, I couldn’t resist hitting the gift shop and getting a coffee mug and sweatshirt for Howard, since he wasn’t able to come along.

It’s more than twelve years later as I recollect this trip. These are the things that have stuck in my mind, even if all the details aren’t there. Howard’s favorite part of the trip was when they brought out the lobster for me and he thought I wouldn’t eat it. My favorite part was enjoying the sightseeing tour through the town with him. (journaling May 2010)

1 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I've never done a page without photos before, but like you I have tons of memories I want to record, and if I did have photos I'd do a SB page with them...

May 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home