Monday, September 6, 2010

Determined to Learn Something New Every Day

6x6 album, pages, date stamp and library cards for easy set-up. All by Close To My Heart.

I got lazy over the summer, let me be honest. I had previously set out to accomplish all this scrapbooking over the summer and while I did find all sorts of inspiration on a regular basis, I did nothing with it.

First there was Scrap Camp at Big Picture Scrapbooking. I'd get the emails, I'd check in quietly, I'd get all excited at work about what I wanted to do when I got to my scrap room. Then nothing.

Same thing happened with Creating Keepsakes summer camp and the Big Idea Festival.

And I started to wonder if maybe not having a real routine over the summer and being worn out from having the boys all day was really doing me in. And it was. I couldn't get anything started because I feared having an unfinished project sit on the desk for days. I never felt like I had enough time in one sitting to get a layout done. But why? Why was I pressuring myself to 'get it done quickly'? What's the rush?

When school started up a couple weeks ago I figured it would be the perfect time to get myself back into the swing of things. I was going to establish a routine and GET SCRAPPIN'! So I committed myself to two more Big Picture Scrapbooking classes - Book of Stories and Me: The Abridged Version. The first is to start on September 9 and the other on September 16. But right at the end of August I caught wind of another class going on with a cute scrapper that I just love, love, love - Shimelle! And so I signed up.

The class started on September 1. It's called 'Learn Something New Every Day'. I've been writing down my lesson of the day in a little journal I keep next to my desk. I hadn't started to make any pages because I wasn't sure what format I wanted to use. For the first few days I would scope out the ideas posted on the forums, hoping the right idea would pop in my head. And then as I was looking through my latest Scrapbooks Etc. and Creating Keepsakes magazines, I came across a couple of ideas that sent me on a brainstorm of more ideas that I could use for my own album.

I settled on a 6x6 mini-album so that I can put some short journaling and maybe a photo on each page. I wanted colors that reminded me of primary school colors and I wanted to use a stamp I had of a library card for the journaling block. As I went through my stash of patterned papers that fit my color scheme, I then pulled out cardstock and ink pads. I stamped and cut the library cards, but as I was putting the stamp away, I found this cute date stamp. So I stamped those and cut them out, too.

It felt so good to get so much accomplished! I now have base pages and journaling cards and an embellishment all ready to go. I have each day's lesson recorded and some photos to use which I will print out at the end.

And I'm back, baby!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue, a.k.a. midwestgirl said...

So I'm not the only one who did absolutely nothing with the Big Idea Festival. Thanks for making me feel better. :) Love what I see for your LSNED album!

September 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home