Monday, March 21, 2011

Beauty is no substitute for substance


So I made this Italian Cream Cake yesterday, after putting it off for several months. When I made it for Thanksgiving it was sooooo gooooood. Really rich and moist. We finished the whole darn thing. I spent the afternoon slaving in the kitchen making this baby from scratch: shaving the coconut, toasting the coconut shavings and pecans, separating the eggs and mixing in all the various dry and wet ingredients. Phew! Baking is hard work. (Not really, I enjoy it!!)

And when all was done, I realized --- I didn't use the right amount of butter in the recipe. I assumed each stick of butter was a cup, instead of only 1/2 a cup. When I ate a slice today I could tell the difference. Not as moist or rich. But still very edible.

On another note, today was the first day of Shimelle's Blogging for Scrapbookers online course. I didn't get to take the class the first time around in 2009. By the time I found it in 2010, it was a self-paced class that I downloaded and tried to incorporate into what I already knew about blogging. I'm excited to take this class "live" so that I can do a better job of blogging but also in preparation of the next phase of this class - Beyond Blogging for Scrapbookers. My goal at this point is to blog at least 3 times a week, with those posts being scrap-related. I'd like to post pages, but also share tutorials or links to other inspiring blogs and resource material. I will probably discuss upcoming or currently-running scrapbook classes that I'm taking online to share my progress in the class or to give my review of the class.

I hope you'll join me, either as a blogger or a scrapbooker, or both!! Please share your plans for your blog/scrappy projects.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Librarybug said...

Looking forward to your posts! I took the class last year, and am hoping to keep up this time around.

March 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

your cake looks tasty indeed! Thanks for your comment on my blog the other day :) I tried Evernote I liked it, but found it didn't work so well for me, I do use One Note with Windows for certain things. See you in class!

March 21, 2011 at 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Amy Nabors said...

Well it looks really tasty!

March 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

So glad to "see" you in the Blogging for Scrapbookers class. This is my first live round also.

March 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Chocolate Mousie said...

Okay, now I'm hungry! That cake looks awesome!!! :-D

March 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hi Claudia! It's great to see a familiar face in the blogging class. Thanks so much for putting the BSS badge in your sidebar! :)

That cake looks and sounds heavenly! Coconut and pecans... yum.

March 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh my goodness, that cake is amazing and I bet it was really delicious despite you omitting some of the butter ... we don't need the extra anyway, do we? ;-)

March 22, 2011 at 12:33 AM  
Blogger The Aldrich's said...

love the new look of your blog!!! Claudia, that cake looks delicious...yummy! Great job!

March 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Photographing Mom said...

Looking forward to reading your blog. :)

March 22, 2011 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Surefiredaisy said...

YUM! :)

March 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Jinnag said...

Cake looks so lush - you make me feel hungry! Enjoy the class!

March 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home