Tuesday, March 22, 2011

To be or not to be...private

But before I get into the discussion I want to share a photo I took this morning of the bluebonnets that are starting to bloom around here:


Taken with my Canon Rebel, ISO 100, 50mm 1.8 lens in aperture mode
(yay me! no auto on this. LOL)


I posted this comment on someone's blog earlier as I think about whether or not I would want to make my blog private or to censor what I share online.


"I've been blogging for about 2 years or so now and I have worried about the privacy issue. At the same time, it wouldn't really be all that hard to find out anything about me with just a few morsels of info. I believe there are more good people than bad people reading my blog. If someone wanted to do me harm, they wouldn't do it because of what I wrote on my blog, Facebook, or Twitter. If I was someone's target, my online presence would be irrelevant. So I choose to just go about my business, posting as if my readers were 100% friends. You can also see that big name scrappers share a lot of their personal info and family's info on their blog and it hasn't been harmful that we've heard of or they would have stopped. Ali & Stacy use their family's real names."


I decided a long time ago that I like having a public blog. I like putting myself out there to share my scrapbooking and to get feedback and make new friends. I've yet to have a negative experience and even still would not let someone else determine whether I post or not. I have nowhere in my life to have a private thought, I don't worry about my blog.


Whatever decision you make for you blog, I hope that it gives you peace of mind.

9 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Beautiful bluebonnet photo. I'll be on on the road the next two Fridays and I'm hoping they'll be blooming along the way.

March 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Tammy said...

Beautiful photo! I'm soooooo happy that spring is here. I feel the same way - I love the benefits I get from sharing myself and the stuff I work on with the blogging world. I may think twice sometimes before I hit publish and I may leave out some details, but for the most part I'm public and OK with it! :)

March 22, 2011 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

GREAT insight into the go public (or not) debate. I completely agree with the points you've made!

March 22, 2011 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger WendyB said...

Just over from BFS. That's a lovely shot of the bluebells and an interesting post on public or private. I keep dithering between the two lol

March 23, 2011 at 4:24 AM  
Blogger Photographing Mom said...

Love the photo!!!

March 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Cheri said...

I use real names on my blog and have been doing so since I first started two and a half years ago. So far - no problems. I also don't have small children - mine are teens. I see points on both sides, but I'm mostly public.

March 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Wish we had some flowers blooming here:) I have a public blog, there are certain things I do not discuss, like my job. I don't have children, so I don't know if I would think differently, probably not. Lots of things for everyone to think about.

March 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger beccaf1970 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love your picture of the bluebonnets...I was glad I had a chance to see them up close last week while in Austin...Spring has not sprung yet in the Northeast!

March 27, 2011 at 6:33 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Medley-Rath said...

Thanks for your "public/private" philosophy. I agree wholeheartedly. I think I overthink the issue. Found you through BFS.

March 27, 2011 at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home