Monday, April 11, 2011

Inspired...

This past Thursday thru Saturday, I participated in the first ever online scrapbook convention put on by Lain Ehmann. The event, True Scrap, was three days of classes put on by some of the top scrapbookers in the industry. It was so inspiring straight out of the gate!

After the keynote interview, the first class was by Nic Howard. The class was all about adding texture to your pages. In this class, Nic showed how she put a beautiful and very dimensional page together and the elements that go into building a page full of layers.

I was so in love with her page, I broke out the sewing machine. I had my sister bring a bottle of gesso from Michael's, and I even used Smooch Spritz that I bought a while back but had really not figured out when or where to use effectively on my pages. I even used a water brush so that I could wet down my page edges and roll them in.

This is the base of my layout. I sewed a white sheet of cardstock to the green. Painted on the gesso and then sprayed with Smooch Spritz. Then I watered the edges and curled them in and inked the edges.


Here I added some scraps of papers I had used in a previous project. Watered, rolled and inked the edges again.


I also added some scraps of corrugated cardboard that I ripped from a box. Put in some scalloped edging by Bazzill, a few journaling spots from Jillibean Soup, some other accents I've had for a while and some fabric. There are even a couple of tags tucked behind the photos on the right side with some journaling. You can also see some of the mess on the table that hasn't been cleaned up just yet.


And a better view of the layout.


I love this page. It's so NOT what my usual pages look like, but I had fun putting it together. I realized that I don't have a big stash of embellishments for my boy pages. I usually scrap much more flat pages. And while I can't see myself always scrapping this way, it's a nice change of pace. I might have to add more of these types of layouts into my usual routine. As for the amount of time it took? Not much more time than a regular page. I think I got this page out in about an hour just because I went looking through my stash for stuff.

Thanks for looking. Did you attend True Scrap? Create anything by being inspired by one of the instructors? Please share!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

OpenID bcre8uv said...

Your page is amazing!!

April 11, 2011 at 1:25 AM  
Anonymous Jess C said...

This is GREAT- I love how you changed it up. :)

April 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I took two classes from Nic Howard at BPC last year and had so much fun making these great dimensional layouts. It totally changed the way I look at my papers and embellishments. I did not attend True Scrap, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

April 12, 2011 at 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Margie S said...

What a beautiful page. It looks like it was a lot of fun to make. One of these days I should try some new techniques just for the fun of it. But I make such a mess when I scrap regular pages, it is hard to find the space! (I have 3 boys too.)

April 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

I came from the blog list posted on Shimelle's blog class~I saw you were from Texas so had to visit. I too love nic howard's style~took her class@BPS!! Your blog is lovely!!!I'm a new follower would love for you to visit a follow Texan!!

April 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger rockchickhelen said...

I've come via Beyond Blogging for Scrapbookers, hi there! Such a great layout, so much personality.

April 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home